Scalability and flexibility have become central requirements within automotive industry production processes today. Growing model diversity, different drive technologies, and greater personalization are pushing conventional line manufacturing to its limits. Dürr’s paint shop of the future breaks away from traditional layouts in automotive production. A modular concept, in combination with intelligent IIoT solutions, allows production volumes to be easily adapted for all scenarios.
Flexible boxes replacing rigid lines
The key idea is to split up the line concept into boxes. The extent may vary according to specific cases and can affect either selected areas or the complete top coat and workplace area. Combined with a central high-bay storage system, this results in a highly flexible and scalable layout.
Adaptable to every scenario
In this way, Dürr’s paint shop of the future offers the flexibility to produce small or large quantities or a wide variety of body models. New car body models, such as electric vehicle models, are more easily and quickly integrated into the existing system thanks to the independent boxes. The box-based layout enables individual cycle times, even allowing different applications and quality requirements to be realized for different vehicle types.
Advantages of Dürr’s paint shop of the future:
- Demand-oriented process times instead of fixed-cycle times
- Easy integration of new car models or processes
- Easier scalable capacity compared to the line concept
- Assignment of single boxes for special tasks possible, e.g. teaching of application technology for new car bodies, while production is continuing in other boxes
- Higher availability: Production continues even at standstill of individual boxes
- EcoProFleet: Dürr’s AGV for a flexible conveyor system in the paint shop of the future
- EcoProBooth: one spray booth for all painting tasks
- Modular work decks: flexible, versatile and fully compatible with EcoProFleet AGVs
- EcoPaintJet: fully automated and overspray-free two-tone painting, easily integrated
- DXQ: Digital intelligence by Dürr for the operation, analysis and control of the plants