UK – The first 12 months of the North East Automotive Alliance (NEAA) has seen it grow to become the UK’s largest automotive cluster group and it’s claimed one of the biggest in Europe. The industry-led cluster group it now has more than 130 members ranging from Nissan and Komatsu UK, to tier one suppliers and SME component manufacturers.
Key statistics for north east based automotive business include:
- Sales over £9.2bn, exporting £5.1bn and a trade surplus of £2.6bn
- Employees – 30,000 direct and impacting a further 141,000
- 46 regional investments totalling more than £1.6bn in the past five years
- NE accounts for 26% of all electric vehicle production across Europe
- The region is home to automotive manufacturers Nissan Manufacturing UK, Komatsu, Caterpillar, Explorer and Cummins; 42 tier one suppliers- 28 car and commercial and 14 off-highway; and over 280 automotive and related supply chain companies.